Courses on the Shiatsu Training Programme
The Shiatsu Practitioner Training Course consists of a series of modules of part time study leading to a full Shiatsu Therapy Diploma. This is recognised by The Shiatsu Society of Ireland, The Shiatsu Society UK and the European Shiatsu Federation. The complete training program is usually taught as a course 3 years in length involving 4 stages of study. We are now offering the Japanese Bodywork Certificate on successful completion of Stages 1 and 2. This takes approximately 1 year. This Certificate indicates competence in bodywork for general energetic re balancing, stress and pain reduction only, plus Western Anatomy and Physiology qualification. It does not imply a full qualification in Shiatsu Therapy.
The stages of study are as follows:
Stage 1 - Foundation level - 2 / 3 weekends
Stage 2 - Japanese Bodywork Certificate - 8 /9 weekends
Stage 3 - Diploma level - 10 / 11 weekends
Stage 4 - Diploma level - 10 /11 weekends, exams, case studies, practical assessments.
NB: Some of the courses may be a combination of residential and weekend modules.
See the Timetable page for upcoming workshops.
Basic Shiatsu Skills: One Day Workshop
This is a basic introduction to Shiatsu. You will learn a brief background to Shiatsu.
Experience meridian stretches and gentle Qi Gong exercises. Learn how to apply correct use of bodyweight to your partner.
Discover acupressure points used for first aid. Gain the skills and techniques to offer a simple back shiatsu to family and friends. Usually considered a very enjoyable and relaxing day.
Stage 1 - Foundation Level
This is a 2 weekend comprehensive beginners course that offers a full body routine to students with no previous experience.
It can also offer massage therapists new techniques to enrich their existing practise.
The course will cover the essential aspects of Shiatsu such as:
- - Origins & philosophy of shiatsu
- - Principles and techniques of Shiatsu technique, including Prone, Supine, Sidelying, Sitting
- - Introduction to the Classical Meridian system
- - Introduction to Yin Yang / 5 Elements
- - Acupressure for First Aid
- - Do-In Japanese exercise
- - Qi Gong - 18 Stances
Stage 2 - Shiatsu Bodywork Certificate (Intermediate)
Anatomy - Bones, muscles, joints, connective tissue
Physiology - Respiratory, Cardiovascular, Digestive, Endocrine, Lymphatic, Nervous, Urinary, Sensory, Reproductive, Integumentary
- - 12 Classical Channels - Location and Function Get Tsubooks on your mobile device - Meridians on line
- - Tsubos - Acupressure points and location
- - 5 Element theory - Creation, Control and Insulting Cycles
- - Qi - Awareness and projection
- - Kyo / Jitsu - diagnostic techniques
- - Hara / Back diagnosis
- - TCM - Traditional Chinese Medicine - Zang / Fu
- - Qi Gong - The student will be awarded the Shiatsu Bodywork Certificate on successful completion of the following :
- - Stage 2 theory exam
- - Anatomy exam
- - Physiology exam
- - 36 recorded treatments
- - 80% attendance
- - Practical Assessment
Stage 4 - Shiatsu Therapy Diploma
- - Zen Shiatsu - Masunaga's channel extensions
- - Reviews of channels and tsubos
- - Case History taking
- - Clinic Days
- - Qi awareness and projection refinement
- - Western Pathology
- - Refinement of practical technique
- - Practical feedback
- - 2 x Practical assessment from registered teachers
- - 100 Treatment records
- - 2 x Case Studies
- - Final Exams
Shiatsu Therapy Diploma awarded on full completion of Stage 4.